Friday, March 11, 2011

SnowCruching





I was in too deep! I stuck my poles deep into the powder and listened to the sound of fresh powder crunching against me as I pulled myself back into shallow snow. Snow that I welcomed much more as it was just above my knees, instead of just above my hips.
This was my first time snowshoeing and it’s definitely a winter activity that anyone can try without taking a class, and one of the most affordable winter hobbies as well. You don’t need to buy a season pass, or drive clear up to the mountains. As long as there is now on the ground, you are ready, just buckle up and start walking. All you need is winter gear to fit the weather; boots, hats, gloves, snow pants and a jacket. Buy or rent snowshoes and you are ready for a workout that will get your heart pumping.
I snow shoed up a snow-covered trail right off the Bakersville exit that led to the base of Gray’s Peak, which is 2.5 miles up with a varied terrain. The trail does get steep at times but never so much that you are gasping for air.
The best part is adventuring slightly off the trail to un-groomed powder. Here you have to take big-mama sized steps because the snow is just above your knees. Anything less and you won’t make much progress.
Snowshoeing is a great way to add variety to your routine. Even if you are looking for a moderate hike on a hiking trail, or if you are a mountain man or woman and head on the backcountry trails with tracks that only you have set in powder, I can’t imagine anyone would rather be on a treadmill or an elliptical. This is a sport that is growing at a rapid pace and I suggest you get out crunch some snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment