Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cross Country Ski


The 2010 Winter Olympics have shut down, but it motivated me to hit the high line canal with retro cross country skis from the 70’s. I geared up in the longest and thinnest skis I have yet to see. I would like to say I glided off, but I had a lot of technique to learn before I hit the Olympic status.
Cross Country skiing is cardio, core, buns, quads, bi’s, tri’s, so basically a total body workout. As a first timer, I stuck with the traditional style. This is like walking, one leg forward, opposite arm back and pulling you forward with the poles. Only your toes are locked in so you push up on your heels for a little more momentum.
I soon started too feel like I was gliding, so I thought I could add in some speed and tricks! Too much too fast. Yes, I fell. Here are the pictures to prove that you can get knocked down, and get up and ski again.
But if I had tried to advance to the double poll or double skate I might not have been able to get back up. But I am sure glad I got down with the trails, even if I can’t cross country ski like the Olympians

No comments:

Post a Comment