Thursday, March 25, 2010

Castle Valley Vineyards


The luck of the penny followed me to the Castle Valley Vineyards after the Canyon Lands Half Marathon. Directly from race, back up Highway 128 fourteen miles and I was sipping on award winning wine in the Red Rock Country.


When I think Moab, I have never thought wine. Amazing how quickly that changed because Moab is also the home to the Spanish Valley Vineyards. Sandy soils and a warm growing season makes those grapes luscious. Moab produces everything from Merlot, Cabs, Chardonnay and Pinot Noirs.

More than vineyards encompass Castle Creek. There is an adventure lodge, offering horseback riding, moutanin biking, rafting. And to have a winery in the midst of it all, lucky me! Castle Creek started growing grapes in the 1970’s, and after testing the soil and grapes the first bottle was sold in 1989! And, now over twenty years later the production is rolling just as fast as the Colorado River that backs up to the winery. ..producing 6,000 gallons of wine. And it’s homegrown in every form, the topping off, labeling and boxing is all done on site.

Sampling on “Outlaw Red,” “Kid Red,” “ Lily Rose White,” I was lucky to be rehydrating, at least in my mind. And mind over matter here because I was ready to continue chasing through Moab after the winery. Rejuvination!

No comments:

Post a Comment