Saturday, January 23, 2010

Rosettes


Today we are going to cross cultures over to Scandinavia. My family in Phoenix has Scandinavian roots and it turns out there could not have been a more cultural time to visit, as they were putting together a Scandinavian smorgasbord breakfast for nearly 200 people. And I was there to help!
All types of authentic foods were served from Lox, Danishes, Lingonberries, a variety of cheeses and meats and we even made a Norwegian wedding cake. But my favorite part was the rosettes because they are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Rosettes are a very delicate and thin cookie made with a rosette iron. Of the many types of designs, we chose a star and circular pattern.
The cookies are made from a batter that consists mainly of eggs, sugar and flour. Some families spice it up by adding vanilla or even stronger flavors like lemon.
Game Time! After learning the plays from my Uncle Mark I was ready for a touchdown. As I was a first time chef, even a first down would have been fine by me. The rosette iron is dipped into a pot of oil at 375 degrees for about a minute. TIME OUT! I fumbled; I failed to give the iron a definitive shake, you know to show them who the boss is. This lets the excess oil off the iron.
Game resumed. We then dipped the iron into the batter and then placed back into the oil to fry for about fifteen to thirty seconds, or until it develops a deep golden color. If you are me, you might overcook a few, but my coach had me back in the game in no time.
After lifting the iron out of the oil, use a fork to gently push the rosette off the iron and onto a paper towel or plate. I stumbled here at first and dismantled a few of these precious cookies. But we called a time out and headed to the drawing board. I quickly saw the pinpoints of where to give the slightest pressure to the rosette for an easy release.
We then dipped ours in granulated sugar. AND VOILA! Anyone can be game and become a Scandinavian chef in an instant. The process can be repeated as many times as necessary, or until your tummy is full!
Ok, so the mix of oil and sugar is not the healthiest thing but who said you can’t live on the sweet side for just a little while?!
Here is one way batter can be made:
2 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine eggs, sugar, and salt; beat well and add remainder of the ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment