Tuesday, April 12, 2011

X-Country Skiing at Breckenridge Nordic Center





Step down. Kick the Ball. Glide. That’s all you need to know and what do you got? The basics of cross country skiing. These thoughts ran thorough my head throughout the day, and luckily didn’t fall out when I fell down. I know, I didn’t think it was possible to fall cross-country skiing, otherwise I would have padded myself up with pillows!
The beauty of cross country skiing is that it can be picked up in a day, is more affordable than skiing, and offers a break just to shake it up. I shook it up at the Breckenridge Nordic Center. There are over 30 km of groomed trails for skiing, and 18 km for snowshoeing.
I thought groomed meant the paths were plowed and we wouldn’t be breaking powder. But even better, they are grooved: groovy was my next thought. If you place your skis in the two grooves you feel like you are on a rollercoaster. Uphill, downhill, or flat the grooves help you stay on course. But as I learned, the trail can demount, and knock some sense into you.
The trails range from green, blue and black…I was headed on troll trail and since I had no luck finding any, I started to venture towards Shock Hill and that’s when I noticed that sense knocked into me. I decided to stick to the grooves only on blues and greens. No blacks, that may have ended up in a black eye.
Trail passes and rentals are each 17 dollars, I mean that’s not even a twenty, which I think is a fabulous deal for a day’s entertainment. And I also entertained the instructor in my lesson when I took him down with me while learning to turn. You can also take an instructor to the ground…lessons range from 47 dollars to thirty-six dollars. Trails are open seven days a week from 9-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment